Sunday, August 18, 2013

Overcoming Bad Memories | Institute of Love

For some people, bad memories from the past can dominate their lives completely, making them feel like they are living in a constant nightmare, with ugly thoughts and dreams always coming back to haunt them. They cannot seem to be able to forget the past and move on, but instead it makes them feel tired, burdened, and hopeless, regretfully placing harsh blame on themselves for the past failures, with words like: “I am not good for nothing,” “I hate myself for what I have done,” “God will never forgive me,” “I am doomed,” and, “There is no hope for me.” The question is: How do we learn to move on from our bad experiences of the past? We must learn to forgive people and ourselves, and even the frustrations we might have toward God for allowing certain things to happen to us. God has mercifully forgiven us through Christ – a forgiveness that no longer reminds people or ourselves of the past sins, but truly lets them go. God says; I will forgive your wrongdoings, and I will never again remember your sins. (See Hebrews 8:12) Therefore we need to “get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of malicious behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.” Ephesians 4:31-32 NLT Take the example of the apostle Paul for instance, who had every reason to want to forget the past since he was involved in the persecution and murder of Christians before he became a believer in Jesus. He said this; I am focusing all my energies on this one thing: forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead. (See Philippians 3:12-14) If we, like Paul, apply this Godly principle, the memory becomes just a memory without the power to take over and rule our minds like before, BECAUSE THE PLANS OF GOD FOR US ARE PLANS FOR GOOD AND NOT FOR DISASTER, TO GIVE US A FUTURE AND A HOPE! (See Jeremiah 29:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment