Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tithing, A Spiritual Principle? (February 28, 2013)


I recently received a letter from a brother, who gave me the following postulation about tithing in reply to one of my blogs on the teaching of Tithing. He claims that the practice of tithing was not under the Law of Moses because Abraham gave a tithe to King Melchizedek 400 years before the Law of Moses, so therefore, tithing is not an act under the Law, but a faith act according to a spiritual principal that has the promises of God attached to it.
This brother also claimed that when the Levites were given 10% of the people’s crops in Malachi 3, this principle is now being translated into modern day, by people giving 10% of their income to the church where they receive spiritual food on a regular basis.
Even if the act of tithing was not under the Law of Moses, as he claims, it still doesn’t validate it as a spiritual principle we, as New Testament Believers, should practice. This kind of twisted teaching usually comes from manipulative church leaders, who have purposely misled the congregation for the sake of their own greed and apparent lack of trust in God.
My Answer To This Brother
My crusade against this false teaching of tithing in the church began years ago when I was going through some difficult times and a minister who didn’t know I was a tither, told me that the reason I was going through what I was going through, was because I was not tithing. This minister was totally off, but I still felt very guilty, judged, and condemned, and thought that I may have missed some months paying tithes and therefore I have robbed God, and because of that I am now in serious trouble of being cursed. What if this minister was right, I was thinking. But then, I heard a tender voice speaking to me saying; that is not Me, Edwin, I do love you! After hearing this, I broke down in tears.
After this incident, God told me to speak up against this false doctrine of the obligation of tithing 10% to the church and educate the real Biblical truth about this and other errors in the church. I started intensely studying this subject and discussing it with Bible teachers, who also oppose the Law of Tithing in the church.
The Law of Tithing in the church is a serious deception in the body of Christ, that causes tremendous disillusionment and hurt among believers. To give you an example, ministers like Rick Joyner of the Morning Star Ministries and Bill Johnson of the Bethel Church are telling people that they cannot members of their ministries if they do not pay tithes! They are just some of the countless ministries and churches that are obligating the people to pay at least 10% of their gross money income in order to be part of their church, ministry, or bible school. Most all of them misuse the scriptures in the Old Testament book of Malachi chapter 3:6-12, telling that if you do not pay tithe, you are robbing God and cannot be blessed. Malachi was actually talking about the Israelites that by Law of Moses had to give 10% of their vegetables and fruits to the Levites! This has absolutely nothing to do with the New Testament Church!
That is why Jesus did not tell His disciples to tithe 10% of anything to Him, and neither the disciples teach anyone to tithe! Nowhere in the New Testament you can find any scripture that supports giving 10% to the church.
You talk about tithing 10% as a principle, because Abraham did so. The Bible says in Genesis 14:18-24 that Abraham, in a one-time event, gave King Melchizedek of Salem 10% of what he had captured in battle. In other words, Abraham gave a tithe of the spoil and NOT FROM HIS PERSONAL PROPERTY!!!
So, if that's the principle of Abraham that we should follow, then we should only give 10% of the spoil we capture in battle or war.
The other principle would be that of the Israelites, to give a tithe of all our vegetables and fruits to the Levites. And then the question is: Are the Levites mentioned in the New Testament as being the pastors, the choir, or the televangelist? Where can I find that in the Bible?
Where does it say in the Bible, that we have to follow these principles? Where does it say in the Bible, that we, as New Testament born again Christians, have to keep the tithing law? Where???
And why did Jesus and His disciples not follow and teach these principles? Why???
Why? It is because God called us as His sons and daughters to be led by the Holy Spirit in everything we do, including our giving of money to God and not by these principles.
When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. John 16:13 NLT
But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses. Galatians 5:18 NLT
That is why all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. Romans 8:14 NLT
I hope and pray that this Biblical explanation about the Law of Tithing help give you understanding and clarity. I know you to be a true man of God and a true brother in Jesus Christ. The Bible says: Let all who are spiritually mature agree on these things. If you disagree on some point, I believe God will make it plain to you. Philippians 3:15 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment